Visually attractive products usually sell well. However, what increases their value and puts them in high demand is their usability and ingenuity in solving a consumer’s problem. The term utility model refers to any new and useful constructions which may be applied in industry, such as those referring to the shape, structure, or composition of objects in a durable form.
Utility models do not have to be ‘ground-breaking’ in nature but if they are to be considered new, they must not have occurred anywhere else in the world. They are not protected by copyright law or industrial design regulations. Still, this does not mean that the creators of such inventions are defenceless, for example in the face of having their rights infringed or in contentious cases. Moreover, a utility model may be considered an interesting alternative to a patent, particularly in terms of the time and financial means required in the process of applying for a patent. This makes it a particularly attractive solution for start-ups and medium-sized enterprises.
Our patent attorneys have many years of experience in the area of utility models, which they have gained while working for us and for R&D and patent departments of corporations as well as in scientific work. We support our clients in every stage of exclusive right protection, both in Poland and abroad.
- conducting registrability studies and estimations
- drawing up utility model applications
- paying fees for granting exclusive rights
- renewing utility model rights
- adhering to the schedule of official fee payments
- drawing up warning letters regarding infringements of utility model rights
- handling litigation in connection with protecting utility models from infringements
- conducting mediation and negotiation proceedings for amicable settlements of disputes regarding utility models
- consulting on utility model protection strategy
- drawing up contracts regarding utility models
- handling transactions involving buying, selling, licensing, etc. of utility model rights