A company’s logo, product name, and visual identification are some of its most valuable assets. They are used to build its brand recognition and market position. Companies spend substantial amounts of money creating attractive ways of appealing to clients and building recognizable product and service identities. By registering individual elements of this project, they are able to build their value for years to come and obtain protection against unfair copying.
However, the work of designers and marketing specialists may go to waste if the creative process does not take into account the legal aspect of brand protection from the outset. For example, any creations used for advertising and marketing purposes must meet certain defined criteria if they are to qualify as trademarks or industrial designs. At the same time, advertising campaigns aimed at raising awareness of products and services must adhere to legal regulations and ethical norms developed and enforced by the advertising industry.
At JWP, we keep up with the latest trends in the branding and advertising industries. This allows us to skilfully choose the right tools and methods in cases connected with copyright infringement, personal goods infringement, and illegal activities linked to unfair advertising, among others. We also offer support in situations in which advertising activities may have been conducted in breach of the principles of fair competition. In such instances we offer the services of a professional attorney, both before and during a lawsuit.
We support our clients in the following areas:
- assessment and issuing opinions as to the registrability of certain marks and visual identification elements
- infringement clearance prior to launching a trademark
- conducting registration proceedings before Polish, European, and other international authorities in cases relating to trademarks and industrial designs
- issuing opinions on whether an advertising campaign complies with the law
- drawing up contracts related to marketing campaigns
- conducting proceedings during pre-litigation and litigation on matters related to advertising law and counteracting unfair competition
- representation before the Advertising Ethics Committee
- preliminary verification of suggested marks at the conceptual stage (identicality search)
- consultations on the design of the trademark, name, or the entire visual identification to minimize legal risk
- consultations on copyrights and contracts regulating the use of economical rights to the trademark
- training, workshops, and other forms of disseminating knowledge on intellectual property and copyrights
We have longstanding experience in matters related to advertising and branding in nearly every aspect of those industries. We have provided expert knowledge in such areas as drawing up contracts and legal opinions on advertising law and unfair competition. Our portfolio contains many lawsuits on matters related to marketing activities. We also offer services related to representing our clients in proceedings before the Advertising Ethics Committee.