Industrial designs can be found in many industries. They protect the external form of products and help make a profit on ideas for the unique design of objects. Therefore they are a vital element of a company’s success. Attractive packaging, original product shape, or an innovative design make products stand out from the competition and impact consumers’ buying habits to the same extent as the product’s performance or price. Companies are aware of this trend and are therefore willing to invest in high-quality designs.
Industrial designs are used in a wide range of goods and their replaceable parts, i.e. car models, electronic devices, household appliances, furniture, clothes, toys, and food products. Registering an industrial design is relatively simple and not too costly.
Effectively protected industrial designs are an important element of the industrial property portfolio. At JWP we offer comprehensive services related to industrial design registration and resultant rights, as well as advice on how to use them effectively in the development of the business.
- building an industrial design protection strategy suited to the company’s business and marketing goals
- conducting industrial design registrability studies
- conducting registration proceedings in Poland (PPO), the EU (EUIPO), and worldwide (WIPO), and in patent offices around the world in liaison with our foreign partners
- monitoring industrial designs and issuing opinions regarding conflicting registrations
- renewing registration rights and making amendments in Polish, EU, and international registers
- drawing up warning letters regarding industrial design infringements
- conducting disputes and litigation regarding infringements of registered industrial designs and acts of unfair competition
- issuing legal opinions, making valuations of industrial designs, and drawing up contracts regarding industrial designs (assignments, licenses, sale)
- conducting mediation and negotiations
- handling customs proceedings and protection of industrial designs at the border