In recent years, the video game industry has experienced a sudden boom and its revenues have exceeded those of the Hollywood film industry. The transition from niche entertainment to a lucrative business has created some intellectual property challenges for the gaming business.
Modern video games are complex products containing numerous works protected by copyright. Additionally, promotional activities, which are quite often conducted globally, require securing industrial designs and trademarks in a range of variations and forms. After all, video games are computer programs created by many individuals, whose rights and duties must be carefully regulated.
Extending protection over such a complicated piece of work as a modern-day video game requires a suitable approach. Together with the client, we must find answers to a number of questions pertaining not only to intellectual property, but also business and marketing plans for the product. Therefore, at JWP legal protection strategies for computer games are developed by a team of lawyers and patent attorneys who gained their experience while working with world-renowned computer game developers.
We support our clients in the following areas:
- building a customized strategy of effective protection of trademarks and industrial designs in Poland, the EU, and worldwide
- carrying out trademark and industrial design searches, registrations, and monitoring
- managing trademark and industrial design portfolios
- assisting with licensing and assigning exclusive rights
- handling disputes regarding infringement of industrial designs, trademarks, and copyrights
- handling customs cases related to intellectual property protection at the border and combating counterfeiting
- counteracting unfair competition
For many years, we have been providing strategic advice to Polish computer game producers on how to protect their intellectual property rights worldwide. Through demanding and intensive cooperation with our clients, we have gained unique experience in advising businesses in this industry. We take care of our gaming clients’ interests by providing them with professional support at every stage of the process of seeking exclusive protection, from assessing the registrability of marks when priority is given to the confidentiality of designs, to product developing and launch, to maintaining protection once it is in force. Our tested network of foreign attorneys, with whom we have been cooperating globally, allows us to support our clients in even the most remote jurisdictions. We provide support in disputes and litigation on such cases as rights infringement, which combine both legal and business aspects.